Creating a portfolio of your work is one of the most important things you need to put in place as a freelancer. A great portfolio can help you land clients while building your brand and network, so it’s essential you have one. Unfortunately, relatively few freelancers create portfolios because they find the process daunting or they dont know how important it is.
Note…If you are new to this how to make money on Fiverr blog and Fiverr.com, take your time to read our complete tutorials on how to make money on Fiverr to get you started. If you want to go premium, check out my products Fiverr Fast Track and Fiverr Wealth System.
A portfolio in this case is a collection of your work samples or past works. It could be a collection of your best works or a collection of all your works. As a freelancer, i have files that showcase my best works and i have other files that have all my past works. It does not matter what you offer on Fiverr, you can create a portfolio of your works.
Now, buyers are looking beyond your descriptions and samples displayed on your gig page. They want to see your portfolio and work history to see how good or experienced you are. They want the best works and having a portfolio tells them what you can realistically do for them now and in the future. And the best indicator of future performance is the past work you have done.
Showing them what you can do with a portfolio lets them see how good you really are, and eliminates any question about you exaggerating in your profile or description. The confidence it takes to let your work speak for itself, as well as being honest about your skill level, is impressive and makes you stand out. And the care and effort you put into selecting and arranging the best examples of your work is something a good buyer can quickly see when going through your works.
So if you are selling on Fiverr without any form of portfolio, you are missing a great opportunity to prove you are the right candidate for the job.
A portfolio can be drawings, paintings, articles, architectural sketches, photographs, collages, etc. it showcases what you excel at. For example …
1. if you are a designer, you can have collections of your best works stored in one place. Once called upon, you can show them to the buyers and right there you can get the job. It’s not just the examples of work that need to blow away your potential clients (although they do help) it’s the way that they’re presented. You don’t have to be a superstar web designer with the best works; a touch of creativity and innovative thinking will get you a long way.
2. Article writer.. You can have your best articles stored in a file or online to showcase to buyers. As a freelance writer, you can Introduce variety to your articles by posting works of different styles. You can write a travel article, an SEO item and later on, write a press release. By doing so, potential clients would be able to see your versatility as a writer. The more styles of writing you can create, the greater the possibility of bagging a writing project as soon as you can.
3. Transcriptionist. . you can have all your transcribed text store in a file or folder or on YouTube… Best way to create a sample work is to create a video with the transcribe text next to the video. Some buyers do ask for sample transcripts. Some buyers just want to see your format, so providing different formats a client needs does help.
No matter what you do, you can create a portfolio and have it stored where you can present it to your potential buyers or clients.
Assembling a portfolio is not the daunting and frightening task it is touted to be. But in some cases depending on what you do, your works might be confidential in nature so you should not use some works as-is. If you are a transcriptinist with most of your works private, you can use anything that’s out there for the public as samples. for example, you can transcribe a public YouTube video and have the transcribe text readily available for clients to go through…
Where and How to Showcase Your Portfolio
1. Videos.. You can create a video of your samples or works and add it to your gig. Some buyers like watching sample videos and having your works in slides in a video helps convince the byer that you are the right man for the job.
2. On Your Blog or Website… Building a website about your brand and experience is a polished way to share your expertise with others. Websites can be more creative and innovative than traditional portfolios and are able to share with anyone in the world. This is especially good for graphic designers for example. You can use WordPress, blogger, weebly etc to create your site.
3. Online File Storage Sites…. You can have your collections in a PDF files, txt files, zipped up folders etc., to be uploaded to any online storage sites. You can have a link to the file in your gig description for intending buyers to see. You can also share this link on other sites, forums etc.
4. YouTube… You can add the same video you have on your gig to YouTube.
5. Portfolio Sites.. This is especially good for interactive designers. Although nothing beats having your own portfolio site with a brand and user experience created by you. But if you cant build your site, you can use this option. Dribble and Behance are good examples.
If you want to be seen as a professional today, you need a portfolio. A portfolio can also be used as a tool to assess your own skills and professional growth. Having all these professional documents and activities gathered in one space allows you to see what you’ve accomplished, strengths, weaknesses, and identify what might need improvement. It can also serve as a confidence booster when needed.
Just creating a portfolio is not enough. It should be tweaked and updated as time goes on. The purpose of creating the online portfolio is so others could see it. Promoting your website or link to your works is therefore equally important. Make sure to include a link to your portfolio in descriptions, forums, social media etc.
Be a smart seller today and start building your portfolio if you have not started already. Cheers
For more Fiverr Tips like my Personal Facebook Page and the official Facebook page for this blog at Fiverr Marketing Secrets. You can also follow my Make Money Online blog and join us at Hotspot Forum to learn more about general internet marketing.
Subscribe to the FiverrCycle channel on YouTube and get updates on new Fiverr video tutorials.